Wednesday, January 23, 2008

First 'Parents of SMM School' Meeting

Tonight, Mr. Marty Swenson, Principal, held a meeting for parents interested in submitting a plan to the Diocese of Rochester to keep Saint Margaret Mary School opened. There was a lot of emotion tonight, as it was one of the first times for many of us parents to really speak out. Ideas were taken for how to develop the plan (I hope to post them here, if anyone wants to e-mail them to me). Next meeting is the SAC Meeting, Tuesday, January 29th at 6:30 PM in the teachers lounge.

If anyone has items they would like to post here, or if you would like to be a blog author here, shoot me an e-mail. Let's get as much information as we can up here

1 comment:

Karley Ziegler Mott said...

I am a proud St. Margaret Mary School parent. My son, Nicholas, is in Mrs. Wagner's class as a pre-schooler.

We are not Catholic. Neither my husband nor I ever attended anything other than public schools. I cannot tell you, however, how happy we are with the quality of St. Margaret Mary School. Children are taught (even in the pre-K class) about integrity, respect, compassion, honesty, and responsibility. Yes, these are all values we instill each day in our two children, but this is what children are taught by example at SMM.

On any given day, one can be in the hallways at SMM and have children smile and greet you, hold the door for you, etc. It is a rarity these days in our society.

I was unable to attend the parent meeting Wednesday, but my husband was there. We want to put our younger son, Ben, in the Pre-K 3 class next year. He has already been looking forward to having Mrs. Wagner like his big brother does. SMM is a fine school. Losing SMM would be a loss to West Irondequoit as a community, but even more devastating to the children attending this school.

Saint Margaret Mary School needs to be saved.

My son is only 4, but he has truly been affected by this announcement. He has cried about this, and expressed his concerns by asking me, "What will happen to Mrs. Wagner and Mrs. Shaughnessy? Where will Ben go to preschool? He cannot go anywhere but here."